Echuca Lions Club
Ordinary people doing extraordinary things - supporting people with a disability, community greening, fundraising for worthwhile causes.
Be a part of the change. Join the Echuca Lions Club.
Echuca Lions President Des Sehestedt extends a warm welcome to visitors to our Club Website. Lions of the Echuca Lions Club are members of Lions Clubs International, a community service organisation dedicated to the idea that the men and women who live in a community are in the best position to know who needs help and why.
Fellowship, good times, meeting people, building friendships, service to the community, learning new skills, leadership and personal development - these are just some of the benefits of being a member of the largest service club in the world.
Lions have been a part of the Australian community since 1947, and a proud to be part of the Echuca community since 1965.
They have been helping to serve the community without promise or want of reward and are people just like you!
Be a part of the change at Echuca.
OUR TOWN'S HERITAGE
Echuca is located in the heart of rich river country at the junctions of the Campaspe and Murray rivers, and situated at the junctions of the Murray Valley Highway (B400), the Northern Highway (B75), and from New South Wales on the Cobb Highway (B75). It is a vibrant town with a population around 13,000. Lions has and continues to play a strong role in the local community.
Echuca is served by daily V/Line Rail and Coach Services to and from Melbourne,Bendigo,Mildura, Albury,NSW and Adelaide,SA.
New South Wales Countrylink Coaches operate daily services to and from Echuca to and from Wagga Wagga and or Albury, NSW connecting with Countrylink XPT Rail Services.
The town is a popular tourist destination.and was the location for the famous television mini series, "All The Rivers Run".
Echuca was founded by one of the most enterprising characters of the early colonial days, an ex-convict named Henry Hopwood. In 1850 he bought a small punt which operated across the Murray River near the Campaspe junction. The relatively small settlement known as "Hopwood's Ferry" became Echuca as the town grew. The Post Office known as Hopwoods Punt opened around 1854 and was renamed Echuca on 1 January 1855.
By the 1870s Echuca had risen to prominence as Australia's largest inland port. Being the point of shortest distance between the Murray River and the major city of Melbourne, Echuca was both a key river port and railway junction. Steam-driven paddleboats would arrive at the 400-metre long redgum Echuca Wharf, unloading it to be transported by rail to Melbourne. Wool, wheat, other grains, livestock and timber were the most common cargoes. The wharf has been listed as a Heritage Place on the Australian National Heritage List. This industrial boom led to a rapidly expanding population, at one stage in excess of 15,000, with more than a hundred pubs (hotels) rumoured to exist in the Echuca district at one time. An iron bridge was constructed over the Murray River in the 1870s.
Ken Walter with his Australia Day Awards.
We are the Lions
We meet the needs of our local communities and the world.
1.3 million men and women in 205 countries and geographic areas conduct
vision and health screenings, build parks, support eye hospitals, award
scholarships, assist youth, provide help in time of disaster and much
Join us in making our communities and the world better places to live.
Becoming a Lion
Lions club members are men and women who strive to make a difference in
their local community as well as in communities worldwide. Their
volunteer efforts go beyond the support of vision care, to addressing
unmet health and education needs worldwide.